- In the ancient Olympics, all athletes competed naked.
- The 2016 Summer Olympics mark the first time the games are being held in South America.
- French athletes drank wine with each meal despite preexisting Prohibition laws during the 1932 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
- In 1928, Australian rower Henry Pearce stopped rowing halfway through the race to let a family of ducks swim by.
- 2016 Summer Olympics organizers have reported that they will make 60,000 meals daily to feed the competing athletes.
- Tug-of-war hasn’t been considered an Olympic sport since the summer of 1920.
- At the 1980 Summer Olympics, the gold and silver medals for rowing pairs were awarded to two sets of identical twins.
- Princess Anne, Queen Elizabeth II’s daughter, was the only female competitor in the 1976 Summer Olympics who didn’t have to take a sex test.
- After over 90 years, golf and rugby are returning to the Olympic Games this summer.
- Polish athlete Stanisława Walasiewicz, also known as Stella Walsh, won the women’s 100-meter race at the 1932 Summer Olympics. After her death, an autopsy revealed that she was a man.
Fun facts courtesy of the following articles:
#s 1, 7, 8: http://www.topendsports.com/events/summer/trivia.htm
#s 2, 9: http://www.sportsinside.org/16-facts-about-the-olympic-games-2016-in-rio-de-janeiro/
#s 3, 4, 6: http://www.guy-sports.com/olympics/olympics_trivia.htm