Photos: Charlotte Geary Photography and Nick Hard
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ontapwp/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Beirdo.jpg 563 1000 Nick Hardt http://s3.amazonaws.com/ontapwp/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/OnTap_Magazine.png Nick Hardt2016-08-01 14:39:512016-08-15 13:55:49Celebrate Virginia Craft Beer Month at Three New NoVA Breweries
Summer is almost over, so don’t miss your chance to visit some great breweries in NoVA that have recently opened their doors and patios. Here’s a short list of three new ones to try during Virginia Craft Beer Month.
This cute farm brewery in Leesburg recently reopened after expanding and relocating their facility not far from Vanish Farmwoods Brewery (also a personal fave of mine). Down a dirt road tucked between two quaint wineries, you will find a beautiful wooden farmhouse with a dog-friendly patio perfect for a quick beer with your boo in between winery visits.
- Banshee Irish Red, 5.5 percent: This one’s for you, Dad. No seriously. My dad loves his George Killian’s Irish Red, and similarly, this one reminds me that some beers are just drinkable. No bells and whistles, just a red with hints of caramel malt that I could drink all day with my pops. Rating: Sharing is caring!
- Shenandoah Stout, 7 percent: A milky, flavorful stout with hints of cocoa and coffee beans, this is the one I keep going back to for another sip. And it’s the chocolate that lingers on your tongue like that last spoonful of ice cream. Savor it. Rating: Shenan-WHOA-a!
Barnhouse Brewery: 43271 Spinks Ferry Rd. Leesburg, VA; www.barnhousebrewery.com
Mustang Sally Brewing Company
This Chantilly-based brewing company is the perfect pit stop on the way to Jiffy Lube Live for a concert or a good excuse to “stop for gas” off of I-66. Good tunes, cool facility and delicious beer.
- Mustang Sally IPA, 6.5 percent: If you’re looking for a strong, firm and bitter IPA, look no further than this baby. Packed with two-row pale, rye and Columbus hops, this guy will give you the Popeye face. Rating: Bitter, baby! But well-crafted.
- Mustang Sally Porter, 6 percent: This bold and traditional English porter has more smooth cocoa nibs than coffee, and is my go-to beer at Mustang Sally because I love malts – especially chocolate ones. Rating: Perfect beer to “take the load off, Sally!”
Mustang Sally Brewing Company: 14140 Parke Long Ct. Ste. A-C, Chantilly, VA;www.msbrewing.com
Lake Anne Brew House
Lake Anne Brew House
Lake Anne Brew House is a modern nanobrewery in Reston. Just look for the orange sign and enjoy a brew on the amazing patio. This brew house is a hidden secret and a treat!
- Reston Red Ale, 5.5 percent: This tasty brew is hopped like pale ale, so it’s got some residual bitterness to go with a caramel malt backbone. A tasty red indeed. Rating: One red to rule them all.
Lake Anne Brew House: 11424 Washington Plaza W, Reston, VA;www.lakeannebrewhouse.com
Have a beer for the Bierdo to try? Drop him a line at [email protected]
Photos: Charlotte Geary Photography and Nick Hardt